Carbon Fiber Fabrics
Carbon fiber fabrics is a high-tensile fiber or whisker made by heating rayon or polyacrylonitrile fibers or petroleum residues to appropriate temperatures. Fibers are 7 to 8 microns in diameter and more than 90% carbonized.
Carbon fiber is a material consisting of fibers around 510 μm in diameter. They are composed of carbon items mostly.
This high-tensile fiber or whisker is manufactured by heating polyacrylonitrile or rayon fiber or petroleum residue to the appropriate temperature. These fibers are 90% carbonized and usually 7 to 8 microns in diameter.
The atoms in carbon fibers are bonded together in crystals. The crystals are parallelly aligned to the long axis of the fiber. This alignment gives a high strength-to-volume ratio to the fiber.
In carbon fibers, thousands of carbon fibers are bundled together to form a row. It can be woven into Carbon Fiber Fabrics or used by itself.
Types of Carbon Fiber
Carbon fibers can be classified into various types based on different classification criteria. For example, strength, modulus, or final heat treatment temperature.
Classification based on carbon fiber properties
Carbon fibers can be grouped into:
- UHM or Ultra High Modulus where the modulus > 450 GPA.
- HM or High Modulus where the modulus is in the range of 350 and 450 GPA.
- IM or Intermediate Modulus where the modulus is in the range of 200 and 350 GPA.
- LM or Low Modulus where the modulus is < 100 GPA. In this category of carbon fiber, the tensile strength is high, typically >3GPA.
- SHT or Super High Tensile category fiber where tensile strength > 4.5 GPA.
Classification based on the precursor fiber material
- PAN-based carbon
- Isotropic pitch-based carbon fibers
- Rayon-based carbon fibers
- Pitch-based carbon fiber
- Gas-phase-grown carbon fibers
- Mesosphere pitch-based carbon fibers
Carbon Fabrics Suppliers Ahmedabad supply different types of fabrics based on user requirements.
Classification based on the final heat treatment temperature
- HTT Carbon Fiber: High heat treatment carbon fiber means where the final heat treatment temperature is beyond 2000 degrees Celsius. It can be associated with high-modulus type fiber.
- IHT Carbon Fiber: Intermediate Heat Treatment carbon fiber means where the final heat treatment is around 1500 degrees Celsius. It can be associated with high-strength fiber.
- LHT Carbon Fiber: Low Heat Treatment carbon fiber means where the final heat treatment temperature does not go beyond 1000 degrees Celsius. It can be associated with mow modulus and low-strength fiber.
PTFE coated fiberglass fabric manufacturers in India make fabrics of different strengths. It depends on the orientation. A small piece can also withstand an impact of several tons without deforming.